I’ve been using Firefox as my primary browser for 3 weeks now. Here’s a status update.
Things were really sluggish and slow at first compared to Chrome. After poking around at a handful of combinations, I’ve settled on some adjustments.
- Changed my “Content processes” setting from 4 to 8, which is the max allowed in the drop-down. I have 16GB of memory on this laptop, which should be plenty. This made an immediate difference, so I may try hacking it to -1 at some point.
- Went back to using Google Chrome for all Google products. At the risk of being overdramatic, Google products are almost unusable in Firefox.
- Went back to using Google Chrome for development. The developer console in Chrome is just too good and fast.
- Removed my
userChrome.css. This seems to have improved performance, and I’m starting to get used to the look and feel of default Firefox.
- Disabled Privacy Badger. It seems that having uBlock Origin enabled is enough to block the many annoying scripts of the internet.
There are a few things that I’m still getting used to or haven’t figured a way around yet.
This weird blackout effect happens pretty frequently in Feedly. If I restart the browser, it goes back to normal. I’m not able to fix it any other way. I thought this was due to my
userChrome.css changes, but it has persisted. Every once in a while the blackout effect happens elsewhere—I’ve seen it in Github and just now it happened in some hover modal thing in Gutenberg. I dunno. 🤷🏼♂️
Firefox’s auto-complete in the address bar is not as good as Chrome’s. In Chrome, if I start typing “j”, I’m immediately shown the most common URL starting with “j” that I visit, which is this site’s admin dashboard. In Firefox, I get the domain – jeremyfelt.com – but not the wp-admin part. The dashboard requires a down arrow key press, where in Chrome I could rely on “j + Enter”. Small annoyance, but still an annoyance! 🙂
Every so often my screen locks up for 10 seconds or so. I think it’s happened most frequently when switching from Slack to Firefox, though I noted once that it happened when switching from iTerm to Firefox. Nothing has actually crashed, it just takes a break for a bit and then goes back to normal.
All small annoyances, but they’re starting to add up. I’ve thought once or twice a week about switching back to Chrome, but I’ve gotten more and more used to things, so I may be able to stick it out.
The balance between the Google internet and the open internet is a fine one!